Jose Lutzky, M.D., F.A.C.P.
“Taking care of patients with serious and often life-threatening diseases can be very challenging, but I firmly believe that we can help every patient in several aspects of their illness, even when cure remains an elusive goal. The study of malignant melanoma is a fascinating field, in which recent advances in the understanding of molecular biology and immunology are already having a positive impact in the treatment of this disease. As science begins to dissect the elements that control the very fabric of life and the means to regulate it, I feel privileged to be involved in clinical research that uses this knowledge to improve the quantity and quality of the lives of people with cancer.”
Director of Melanoma Program at Mt. Sinai Comprehensive Cancer Center
PROFESSIONAL EDUCATION & TRAINING:
Oncology Fellowship: Columbia-Presbyterian Medical Center, Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons, New York
Residencies: Internal Medicine: Universidade Federal do Rio Grande do Sul, Porto Alegre RS Brazil
Mount Sinai Medical Center, Miami Beach FL
Medical School: MD Universidade Federal do Rio Grande do Sul (UFRGS), Porto Alegre, RS, Brazil
- Canadian Medical Council Evaluating Examination
- American Board of Internal Medicine: Internal Medicine
- American Board of Internal Medicine: Medical Oncology
- American Board of Internal Medicine: Hematology
CURRENT POSITIONS: MEDICAL ONCOLOGIST
- Director, Melanoma Program, Mount Sinai Medical Center, Miami Beach, FL. 1997 - present.
- Co-Chief, Division of Hematology/Oncology, Mount Sinai Medical Center 2002 – present
- Associate Attending, Mount Sinai Cancer Center. Miami Beach, FL. October 1994 - present.
- Partner: Nixon, Blaustein, Ratzan, Lutzky, P.A. November 1995 - present
- Board of Directors, Florida Society of Clinical Oncology, 2008- present
- Executive Committee, Florida Society of Clinical Oncology, 2009- present
PREVIOUS POSITIONS & APPOINTMENTS:
- Assistant Attending Physician, Presbyterian Hospital, New York, NY. November 1987 to November 1988.
- Staff Physician, Section of Hematology Oncology, Long Beach VAMC. December 1988-February 1991.
- Attending Physician, University of California, Irvine Medical Center, March 1991-September 1994.
- Director, Lymphoma/Myeloma Multidisciplinary Program, UC Irvine, July 1992-September 1994.
- Co-Director, Blood Stem Cell Transplantation Program, Mount Sinai Cancer Center, Miami Beach, FL. 1997 – 2000
- Co-Director, Salick Research Department at Mount Sinai Cancer Center, FL. 2000 - 2002.
- National Chair, Melanoma Committee, Salick Research Department. 2000 - 2002.
- Co-PI, Mount Sinai CCOP 2002 – 2008.
- Special Expert Witness, Agency for Health Care Administration, State of Florida, 1997 – 2007
- Instructor in Clinical Medicine; Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons, New York, NY. November 1987 to November 1988.
- Assistant Professor of Medicine, University of California, Irvine. December 1988- September 1994.
- Clinical Assistant Professor of Medicine, University of Miami, Miami, Florida. September 1994 - present.
- Quality of Care Subcommittee: Long Beach VAMC, 1989-1991
- Clinical Pertinence Committee: Long Beach VAMC, 1989-1991
- Southwest Oncology Group: Leukemia, Lymphoma and Myeloma Committees, 1991-1994
- Vice-Chair, UC Irvine Cancer Center Education Committee, July 1992-September 1994.
- Clinical Protocol Review Committee: UC Irvine Cancer Center, 1992-1994
- Human Subjects Committee: UC Irvine, 1992-1994
- Medical Student Admissions Interview Committee: UC Irvine, 1992-1994
- Human Rights Committee, Mount Sinai Medical Center, FL, 1994 - 1995
- Research Committee, Mount Sinai Medical Center, FL, 1994 - 1997
- Cancer Committee, Mount Sinai Medical Center, FL, 1995 - 2005
- Continuing Medical Education Committee, Dade County Medical Association, FL, 1995 - 2000
- Salicknet Quality of Care Committee, South Florida Region, 1997- 1999.
- International Affairs Committee, Mount Sinai Hospital, 1997- 2001
- IRB/Research Committee, Mount Sinai Hospital, 1997 - present
- Member, CALGB Melanoma Working Group, 2003- 2006
- Program Committee, Florida Society of Clinical Oncology, 2006- present
- Program Committee Chairman, Florida Society of Clinical Oncology, 2009- present
- ICORE/Magellan Healthcare, Oncology Coverage Guidelines Advisory Board, 2009- present
PROFESSIONAL ACTIVITIES, MEMBERSHIPS, & ACCOMPLISHMENTS:
- Latin American Student Exchange Program: University of Miami
- American Cancer Society Audrey Myers Fellowship
- Upjohn Travel Award/American Association for Cancer Research
- Lymphoma Research Foundation Fellowship
- Fellow of the American College of Physicians
- American Society of Clinical Oncology
- American Society of Hematology
- American Association for Cancer Research
- International Society for Biological Therapy of Cancer
- Society for Melanoma Research